Where else to ask for help?

If you are part of a family with disabled children and young people you may benefit from additional support. The support available is varied and ranges from support groups to specialized agencies. Often the main barrier to accessing the necessary support is a lack of information. Here are a few suggestions on how to access the information needed.

Children's Information and Advice Service (CIAS)
This is the first contact point for children's services in Birmingham City Council. CIAS provides free, confidential and impartial advice, support and guidance on all aspects of child care and a wide range of services that may support children, young people and families.

Website: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cias
Telephone: 0121 303 1888

CIAS Plus aims to provide information to parents and carers of children or young people with a disability. This is an opt-in service where parents choose to provide details of their child to CIAS. An information pack is provided to all families and regular publications are sent to these families automatically. CIAS will also send out details of any events that will of particular interest.

Contact a Family West Midlands
A charity that helps families who care for children with any disability or special need. It provides information and advice and runs workshops and provides opportunities to meet with other families.

Web: http://www.cafamily.org.uk
Tel: 0121 415 4624

Birmingham Carers' Hub
The Birmingham Carers' Hub can help provide information, advice, training, short breaks and support. It also provides access to Emergency Respite Support

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Tel 0121 448 7088

Autism West Midlands
This charity:
Provide activities and events and support for families, and an information helpline
Offer training for parents of children with autism, and the professionals who help them
Support people with autism to live as independently as possible, in residential care, or in their own or the family home
Help people with autism to find and keep a job

Website: http://www.autismwestmidlands.org.uk
Telephone: 0121 450 7582

CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services), now Forward Thinking BIrmingham, now has it's own dedicated website for mental health services for 0-25 year olds.
Website: www.forwardthinkingbirmingham.org.uk

Talking point - the first stop for information on children’s communication

Talking point can help you to identify areas your child might need support with their Speech and Language support.
Website: www.talkingpoint.org.uk/

Support Groups
There are a number of support groups for families of children or young people with disabilities. Some groups are for all disabilities and others support specific conditions
If you would like to find out more about Education Health and Care Plans, please visit the My Care Website:

Find Us Elsewhere

Contact Us

Billesley Primary School
Trittiford Road
B13 0ES
0121 675 2800